Wednesday 13 September 2017

The making of our fireplace Part 1



Good Morning! I'm sharing our fireplace build in 3 parts because of how many pictures I have to share....otherwise it will be picture overload! 
This has taken sooooo long to finish because we have basically been doing it just on weekends when
we're not taking the kids here, there and everywhere :)   We finally finished except for the tile on the last day of winter! Haha Luckily we could use the fireplace during winter  :)


This was the drawing  I gave to hubby..... Most of my inspiration came from all the beautiful homes on Instagram and there are so many!

Liam was drawing up his plans.... He allowed a mirror and TV to go on the mantel.... not sure how high he thinks the ceiling is haha he did say after he finished that he wasn't sure the TV would fit... such a cutie!



Here is the room before, cleaning before marking up the floor .

Next marked out where the framing needed to go and took the floor boards out.
I worked out the dimensions by the width/height of the fireplace, how much space I need for the tile surround and sides of mantel. The height of the top of the mantel was worked out by the minimum clearance needed as per fireplace instructions and to keep in proportion to the sides.


Lucky he knows what he's doing :)


Next was cutting the cornice/crown moulding. 


Next was the framing



Fireplace went in! Matt and I carried this up a flight of stairs..... it was heavy! I seriously don't know how we did it! and I wonder why my back is shot ;)


Our cats new climbing attraction LOL. They loved it while it lasted :)


Flue kit was fitted. We have a horizontal kit which goes straight out the side of the house.




Next the gas was connected and logs and embers were put in. I would have loved a white herringbone brick  insert which I'm trying to track down, but it looks fine how it is for now ;)


Viola! It's working :) We used Fibro around the front of the fireplace. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...