Wednesday 13 January 2016

The "Great room" makeover!


Welcome to our "Great room" make over!
We have now lived in our new home for a little over a year. When we purchased our very 1st house 10 years ago we were newly married, just had our first child and took on a full renovation and I swore I'd NEVER do it again but 10 years later and look what i'm doing!





This was a very sad day taking out this kitchen! We purchased this house after my father passed away and he built this kitchen so it was a kind of a bitter sweet feeling but it had to go! Im not one for timber kitchens with apricot tiles.

It took months to draw up a new kitchen plan lots of late nights browsing through the houzz app looking and finding styles and ideas that I liked.
I knew I wanted off white shaker style cupboards and stone bench tops with a huge island so that was worked out just layout trying to fit the as much storage in as possible and making it as practical and functional as possible.


We ended up stripping the whole kitchen and living area out, we needed to put in a huge beam to hold the structure (there was a post in the previous kitchen) which was a big job! lucky we have great builder friends and family that helped us out.


Here's the end result!


The one thing I would have loved to have is a window where the sink is to let more light in but the view looks directly into our neighbours yard so we ended up leaving it out..... 


We went with a marble herringbone tile back splash which I love! The one thing i'm still going to put in which i haven't done yet is a pot filler over the cook top.
I actually did the tiling and grouting which took me 19 hours! I've never tiled before so I was very impressed with myself I never thought I would be able pull it off  but after my husband ran out of patience after 5 mins of putting spacers in and lining them up if I didn't do it he would have called it quits.




I love how open the whole room looks! This room definitely is the most used in our house, its where you'll typically find me if not try the laundry lol



In the coming months my husband and I are planing on re doing our table and making bench chairs and giving it a new lease of life so stay tuned for that :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...